In 2018, one of our clients, a creative production and events company, approached HR Smart to solve a timesheet tracking problem. At the time, the business had five people employed that were working in three different parts of the UK. All of them needed to be flexible in terms of working hours due to the requirements of each project.
The main issues were that the company:
- had no means of tracking employee working hours
- struggled to calculate time off in lieu accurately
- employees were building up unused holiday hours throughout the year
All of these problems were creating a financial and operating burden at the end of each financial year.
Jon Rush from HR Smart ran a project to assess what the client required in order to create a method of recording time in the most efficient way, calculating holiday and enabling reporting for lieu time, sickness and diverted time on projects.
Jon's approach was to:
- build a tailored solution using Excel for time sheet recording in the first year, which showed all required elements and how the data could be recorded and reported on
- recommend one of their HR Systems (People HR), when it was decided that the spreadsheet required too much time to put together and a more robust alternative system was needed
- spend time specifying and tailoring their People HR set up and reporting, utilising the knowledge that had been learned from the initial spreadsheet
- help our client roll out the system to their employees over a two-day period, inclusive of onsite HR system training – People HR went live in time for the first day of the Client's new reporting year
The Client now has a fully working HR system that manages not only time recording, but sickness, holiday, time off in lieu, document storage and communication with their employees. The system allows the management to run reports on any aspect of data recorded and they now have complete control over their HR processes and procedures making this area of business management more efficient and saving huge amounts of time.
"We approached HR Smart to help us find a new HR system to take over from spreadsheets. From our list of requirements, they presented several options, walked us through each, and once one had been chosen, set it up for us and trained our staff in how to use it. They've been on hand when questions have arisen, which has made for an easy transition to the new system."