Entered by: Heidi Rush @ 19:54:33 on 15/12/09
Whilst 2009 has been a difficult year for many businesses in the UK, a recent study by Aviva has shown that 61% of UK businesses are still planning to celebrate with a Christmas party for its employees.
But before you put on your glad rags and dancing shoes, here are some other interesting Christmas facts that you might want to bear in mind.
The morning after
· 2.31 million workers in the UK will call in sick the day after their Christmas party, costing the British economy in the region of £216 million.
· Men are more likely to phone in sick, as are managers and directors.
· A third of employees will be honest when they telephone in their absence, whilst 23% will claim flu. Also topping the excuses chart are migraines and food poisoning.
When it comes to drinking,
· The average employee will consume 7.3 units of alcohol
· Men plan to drink more than 3 times the daily recommended allowance, at 9.6 units against 3 to 4 units;
· Women say they are likely to drink 5.6 units, which is twice the recommended daily intake.
· 31% of alcohol related accidents at the Christmas party will result in hospital treatment
The most common Christmas party mishaps are:
· Falling over whilst dancing
· Slipping on split drinks
· Falling of furniture and/or a stage
· Passing out, and
· Walking into a wall or object
Whilst this may seem a little far-fetched to you, I can speak from experience and say that these things do go on. In a previous HR role, I received a telephone call the day after a departmental Christmas party to advise they had been a “bit of an incident”. The result of which was a huge fight, five police cars being called, three employees ending in A&E, one of which had a broken nose, 20 employees under disciplinary investigation, resulting in seven written warnings and a dismissal of a senior manager.
Here at HR Smart, we wish you and your employees a happy, fun, but safe Christmas and New Year. Any problems, please call our helpful HR Consultancy staff.
|Copyright © 2007 HR Smart Limited. All rights reserved||Sitemap | XML Sitemap | RSS Feeds|
|Company Registration Number: HR Smart Ltd is a company registered in England & Wales with company number No 5042242
Registered Office Address: 48 Fircroft Avenue, Lancing, West Sussex, BN15 0NR
V.A.T Registration No.: GB 834 9791 80